1675 —In September, Indians set out on a raiding party along the Lamprey River. On their way to Exeter, one person was killed and another unnamed male taken prisoner.
1690 — Eight persons slain, and a young unnamed lad captured at Lamprey River on July 4, 1690. The next day, Indians attacked Hilton’s garrison in Newfields. In the course of one week not less than forty people were killed between the Lamprey River and Amesbury. The frontier garrisons were reinforced April 24, 1693 and two additional soldiers were stationed at Edward Hilton’s, and two at Lubberland.
1704 — Edward Taylor was killed by Indians at Lamprey River, April 26,1704. His wife Rebecca and a son and daughter were captured near the Lamprey River and taken to Canada, whence Mrs. Taylor and her daughter were later redeemed. The daughter became the wife of Aaron Rawlins, and their farmhouse at the northwest corner of Riverside Cemetery.
1706 — July 23, 1706, about twenty Indians fell upon ten Exeter men as they were mowing a field between Exeter and the Lamprey River. Four men were killed: Richard Mattoon, Hubertas Matton, son of Richard, Robert Barber and Samuel Pease. The three escaped who were “severely wounded, but recovered” were Joseph Hall, John Taylor, and one other. Taken captive were Edward Hall, Samuel Mighill and a mulllatto. Hall, a nephew of Colonel Hilton, and Mighill were taken to Canada where Hall built a sawmill and received favor from the French and Indians — in that they were allowed to go into the woods to hunt. Taking advantage of this, Hall and Mighill made their escape. For three weeks together they had nothing to subsist on except lily roots and the rind of trees. Exhausted, Mighill lay down and prepared to die. Hall, battling fatigue and hunger, left him as comfortable as possible and headed towards the fort at Deerfield, Massachusetts. A party went back, found Mighill alive, and carried him to the fort where he regained his strength. Both men eventually returned home.
1710 —The Indians succeeded, July 23, 1710, in their plan to kill their hated enemy, Colonel Winthrop Hilton. This was the most surprising and afflictive stroke of the Indian Wars. Hilton was largely engaged in the masting business. Having several valuable trees felled the previous winter beyond the Piscassic, he went out with seventeen men to peel off the bark. While at work they were ambushed by the Indians. At first fire Colonel Hilton and two others fell. Dudley Hilton, brother of the Colonel , and John Lougee were captured ( Lougee was carried to Canada, then to England; he later returned to Exeter). Flushed with this success the Indians then appeared in the open road, and took three daughters of Richard Dolloff while the children were at. They also captured John Wedgewood and killed John Magoon, near his brother’s barn. The next day, a company of 100 men marched in pursuit of the Indians, but found only the mangled remains of their neighbors. The Indians scalped Colonel Hilton, struck hatchets into his head, and left a lance in his breast. One of the slain was buried on the spot. The other two were brought home.
1723 — The enemy appeared at Lamprey River again on August 29, 1723, eighteen Indians attacked the garrisoned house of Aaron Rawlins. Mr. Rawlins was shot through the walls of the house he was defending and afterwards scalped, while the head of his eldest daughter, twelve years of age, was cut off. Mrs. Rawlins was the daughter of Edward and Rebecca Taylor. She was made prisoner while attempting to escape from the house with a son and daughter who followed her. The mother was redeemed in a few years. The son was adopted by the Indians, and lived with them all his days. The daughter (Edward and Rebecca Taylor’s granddaughter) married a Frenchman, and when nearly sixty years old visited with her husband her native place, hoping to recover the patrimony which she supposed was left at the death of her father.
1724 -- In September, 1724, Peter Colcord with others was seized and carried to Canada. He soon returned, bringing important information respecting the Indian settlements and proceedings.
(photo: Sketch of The Old Garrison, built 1638, Newmarket, New Market Historical Society print)
[Source:1 - Old Newmarket, by Nellie Palmer George, Exeter Newsletter Press, 1933; and History of Rockingham County, New Hampshire and Representative Citizens by Charles A. Hazlett, Richmond-Arnold Publishing Co., Chicago, Ill., 1915;
Source:2- History of New Hampshire, Vol. 1 by Jeremy Belknap, Dover NH 1831;
Source: 3- History of Exeter, by Charles Henry Bell, The Quarter-Millennial Year, 1888, Press of J.E. Farwell & Co., Boston]
The Stone School Museum, built in 1841, as a two-room schoolhouse, and now home to the New Market Historical Society, is located high upon Zion’s Hill on Granite Street. Hours of operation are in our program of events and are on our web page and Facebook. If you need further information, please call 603-659-3289 and leave a message or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your inquiry will be returned as soon as possible.
$17 for members, $19 for non-members
Books available and can be purchased on line with PayPal—or contact us via email at
If shipped — an additional shipping & handling fee of $4 applies.
All proceeds from the sale of this book by the New Market Historical Society help the preservation of our collection.
We greatly appreciate your membership and donations, and look forward to seeing you at our meetings and events. Members receive free admission to all our meetings and non-members can attend most meetings and events for free. Please make it a point to introduce someone new to one of our events.