PUBLICATIONS REFERENCED IN THE HISTORICAL SOCIETY WALKING TOUR
Books in Bold & Underlined available at Newmarket Public Library
(NHS) on file at New Market Historical Society
(1) Red Schanda, “Joe Dixx” column, 1994 Exeter/Hampton Newsletter- (NHS)
(2) Tide Turns on the Lamprey, History of Newmarket, Sylvia Fitts Getchell, published 1984, Capital Offset Company, Concord, NH. (NHS)
(3) Lamprey River Village, the Early Years, by Sylvia Fitts Getchell, Newmarket Press 1976 (NHS)
(4) Old Newmarket, Historical Sketches, by Nellie Palmer George, News-Letter Press, Exeter, NH published 1932 (NHS)
(5) Surrounding Town Histories:
A) Early History of Newmarket included in History of Newfields, New Hampshire 1638-1911 By Rev. James Hill Fitts, Rumford Press, Concord NH 1912 (NHS) also available Google Books free download. (NHS)
B) History of the Town of Durham, by Everett S Stackpole, Lucien Thompson, Winthrop S. Meserve, 1913, Revised 1973 NH Publishing Company, Somersworth, NH (NHS)
C) Landmarks of Ancient Dover, NH by Mary P. Thompson, 1965 Durham Historic Association (NHS)
D) History of the Town of Exeter, NH by Charles H. Bell, 1888, published Exeter, NH- Google Books
6) “Ports of Piscataqua” by William G. Saltonstall, Harvard University Press; published 1941
(8) New Hampshire as a State Provence. William Henry Frye, Volume #29, Issue #2. Columbia University Political Science Faculty Dissertation, New York, 1908
(9) Mary Richardson’s Notebook, unpublished, on file at The New Market Historical Society, Stone School Museum. (NHS)
(10) Lee NH Historical Homes, online website, https://leenhhistoricalsoc.org/historical-buildings
(11) N.H. State Papers, VII, pg 630.
(12) Source: http://my.execpc.com/~sril/dartmoor/index.htm; THE DARTMOOR PRISON “AMERICAN CEMETERY RESTORATION” PROJECT
(14) Newmarket Early Shipping Industry and the Mitchell / Folsom Family by: Moss, Nina Folsom. “A History of William Harrison Folsom”. Salt Lake City: 1973. And the actual Indenture Document itself can be found at Family memorial: Records of the Boreman, Bordman and Boardman Families of New Hampshire and Maine” by Samuel Lane Boardman, Samuel Lane, 1836-191. Published 1876, Boston Public Library. Section re: General Hill written by the General’s granddaughter.
(15) Notes sent to the New Market Historical Society in February 1985 by Robert Whitehouse from his father’s collection, a shipping enthusiast, and Dover historian. (NHS)
(16) History of Rockingham County, by Charles A. Hazlett, Richmond-Arnold publishing, Chicago, Ill. 1915, Boat Traffic after 1880. pg 567 (NHS)
(17) https://www.gundalow.org/about-us/the-gundalow-company/ The Gundalow Company of Portsmouth website.
(18) James Hill Note Book, Wellesley College Library, transcription on file at New Market Historical Society (NHS)
(19) Wealth & Honor, Portsmouth During the Golden Age of Privateering 1775-1815, by Richard E. Wilson, published Peter E. Randall for Portsmouth Marine Society.
(20) Full accounting of the Life of Phoebe Tenney, Missionary work in China (http://www.internationalbulletin.org/issues/2014-03/2014-03-150-welch.html)
(21) Thompson, Larry Clinton, William Scott Ament and the Boxer Rebellion: Heroism, Hubris, and the Ideal Missionary. McFarland Publishing Company, 2009, p. 80+;
(22) “The Ropemakers of Plymouth. A History of the Plymouth Cordage Company, written by Samuel Eliot Morison in 1950
(23) “HEMP IN NEW ENGLAND”, By John E. Dvorak
(24) Newmarket Historic District by Dr. Richard Candee, 1980 Commissioned by the Town of Newmarket, (NHS)
(25) Honorable James B. Creighton, Biography, by George Walker & Ralph Jackson (NHS)
(26) The Village Blacksmith. E.P. Dutton, New York, NY 1890)
(27) American Life, Erica Lome, History, Pilgrim Era, Plymoth Colony, Plymoth Rock, The New World, Tools
(28) Books by Helen Dore Boylston: Sister: A Journal published in 1920 by Atlantic Monthly Press. Which she later turned into her first book Sister: The War Diary of a Nurse (1927), in which she detailed her wartime experiences. Also:
(29) The Postal Service in Colonial America, a Bibliography of Material in the Smithsonian Institution Libraries National Postal Museum Branch Compiled by Timothy Carr and Debra Shumate
(30) Postal Routes, NH House of Representatives, NH State Papers v.20 (1784-87)
(31) Colonial Era History of Dover New Hampshire, John Scales, 1923
(32) Granite Monthly, Feb-March 1908, An Unchartered Town, Newmarket on the Lamprey – Historical Notes and Personal Sketches by John Harvey. (NHS) online New Market Historical Society Website.
(33) Masonic 100th Anniversary Celebration 1926, (NHS)
(34) Settlements of Saco Valley, Gideon T. Ridlon, -Walter Byrant Family Collection, Google Books
(35) History of the Fifteenth Regiment, New Hampshire Volunteers, 1862-1863 By Charles McGregor
Also used Newmarket Advertiser Newspaper issues 1892 to 1931 - online via Lee Public Library, Archives